May: Busy and Bright


Okay.To start off with, we are now "empty-nesters"- in a more literal sense of the term than I may be using to describe myself 20 years from now.

First it was the baby robins. I think it was on or around Mother's Day (I forget these things if I don't write them down). I remember thinking it was the mother bird flapping around my head, threatening again to dive bomb me, but I soon realized it was a baby sized, but fully feathered, little fella flapping wildly. He (or she?)ended up out near the curb, close to the car. I hope it survived. I didn't end up getting to see the others make their first journeys, but the next time I checked the nest was empty. The whole robin family has moved on.


Ping has also "flown the coop" (been transferred to a new home). He grew and his poop grew (in frequency and size) along with him. It became unpleasant and not sanitary to have him in the house. Since we do not have a secure place in our yard and a friend expressed some interest, Ping was transplanted. I worried over him a teeny bit and I worried a teeny bit more over Yosi, but they both seem to be quite unperturbed. Ping is happy because he has a lovely new family with 3 children that let him play with them in the sprinkler. And Yosi- well, she pretty much couldn't care less that he's gone. She asked about him a grand total of ONE time, and more out of habit, it seemed, than concern, after she got up from her nap on the day we took him to the farm. She wasn't as attached to him as I was, I think. She tolerated his presence, but she (and we) got tired of constantly being reminded not to chase him or try to grab his tail or pick him up. He thought she was the "bee's knees" in spite of her violent affection, and he was her faithful shadow if we weren't nearby. Maybe the constant shadowing is why she complained "he bothers me". Otherwise, he preferred me and would cuddle up to or roost on my feet if they were still more than 20 seconds.

The last evening Ping was with us, it rained heartily, but the air stayed warm. We all sat on the porch and watched it pour and listened to the thunder. When the rain finally petered out to a gentle sprinkle, Ping and Yosi ventured off the porch to play in the puddles on the sidewalk. Then we all took a walk. I put a string loosely around Ping's chest, just in case he should decide to venture into the road or too near some type of beast. But I needn't have worried. He was on our heels for 3 blocks and back, his duck feet slapping the wet cement "flip-flap-flip-flop". At the end of our block a huge puddle (or mini-lake) had developed. We all waded, and Ping was inspired to take a little swim. He took to the water like- a duck.

So the avian-phase is over. For quite awhile, I think, we're back to just being us, "the flightless birds".

A couple of weekends ago, being flightless, we carried ourselves by the power of the wheel, to Columbus, for a meeting with the family of Yoselin's bio-sis. Though the weather seemed unpredictable, by the time we reached our meeting place the clouds had broken and the sun shone cheerily, as if it had meant to all along. The girls played together sweetly, except for one small incident where Yosi got to experience what it's like being 'little sister' and Isabel was a dearly repentant 'big sister'- and they made up with hugs and kisses and were happy evermore. :) We shared picnic lunch, enjoyed TWO playgrounds (it was a Big park), watched geese, and David managed to get himself a little sunburn. We were throughly, but happily, worn out. Yosi was asleep before we hit the interstate, 5min from the park.



Last weekend was Kari's Baby Shower. I all came together quite nicely, in spite of my helter-skelter-helmsmanship. I didn't do it on my own, at all. We were a great team that included The Moms, The Friends and The Big Sister. One friend made a darling and, more importantly, Delicious cake, and brought a clever and cute bouquet of daisies in milk jars stacked in a little handled carrier. Another friend was an invaluable source of decorating items (a vintage baby scale, wooden duck toys, vintage baby shoes), ideas and craft savviness. And the Moms were pretty crafty and helpful all around. I really enjoyed making a few of the decorations. We handmade invitations (admittedly, probably more work than it was worth, but they turned out super cute, I think). We made a banner (from the leftover card supplies), the favor boxes, and I made my first diaper cake. Yosi and I painted together for the first time when spiffing up a few old flower pots for center peices. And I actually made some green grow in them- albeit, 5 days late. To make up for the lack of live green we filled the pots with dried grass. In them we stuck little marbled chocolate suckers. My mom made them in the shape of butterflies, flowers, and baby bottles. Quite charming, and in spite of my forgetfulness (who forgets until 45min before a shower begins that there is s'posed to be punch? only me, that's who), was a charming success. Guests even did marvelous impressions of mild-moderately enjoying the Games.

Summer's here, if you ask me. We've been having picnics, eating popsicles, wearing flipflops and skirts (well...david doesn't wear skirts- except for once a year), planting the pumpkin patch, and watching the grass grow (and grow, and grow...). AND thanks to some bonus $ from work, I got a new swimsuit! So, with my fake tan slathered on, I am psyched to be hitting the public pool for the first time next week!

"That is not all, oh no, that is not all..." but I'm running out of time.

1 comment:

~~anna~~ said...

What fun to read your May update!Almost like being there (well, not quite, but you know what I mean!)
Love you guys!!!

(My word verification is 'emess'~possibly a reference to Ping?)