Things started going avian at the beginning of the month, when my dad decided to buy chicks to grow and then eat (Yosi did not receive full disclosure on this; at least- not from her parents). They were adorable as chicks, but now they're raggedly feathered chickens and you only say "aw" because you feel bad for them, what with their being so ugly and their inevitable fate. But we try not to think about that too much... There's plenty to distract us anyway.
Ping is settling in quite nicely. Yosi's "gentle" skills are improving, though there are occasional lapses, so she's never with the little guy without supervision. Last night we took him outside for his daily swim, in a rubbermaid container. He was much more adventurous than the first time, diving and splashing and eating dandelion greens we'd torn up and put in the water for him. I guess he's bonded, because while we were outside last night he was always seeking one of us out. He especially enjoyed chasing Yosi around the yard.
The video I'm posting is of his "first" swim (at our house anyway), in the livingroom.
I can't resist noting how even David is pretty fond of our little bugger. He discovered that Ping responds to being whistle-peeped at. Very amusing. While home from work the other day, I tried "peeping" at Ping, while "pecking" at the ground with my fingers and he came to me as if I was calling him! Ducks may be better than cats!
Mama Robin is still roosting and getting worked up nearly everytime we go out on the porch. One day I waited until she flown off to the tree across the road to hold gaurd and quickly climbed up on the ledge and snapped a couple of pictures of those beautiful blue eggs.



2 comments:
cute video!
Lyn! I am loving feeling connected to your lives through the story of Ping! I am also loving Ping. He is soo soo cute!! You all are taking such good care of him. He seems so happy at your home!
As for the rest of your bird adventures....they still scare me. I don't know if I could go to your house to visit Ping, what with that scary mother bird right outside your door....
LOVE YOU!!
Post a Comment