shan and the kids arrived tuesday afternoon and stayed through saturday. we had discussed the possibility of them visiting here, so it was not unexpected, but nonetheless, a bit overwhelming at times. however, there were good times- cutting hair, playing games, watching movies, having dinner together... we discovered what kind of rules need to be made for young boys. such as: Only 1 banana per day, NOT FIVE in 30 min. (samuel payed dearly for that one, not expelling anything for 3 days and then only with MUCH pain).
REMIX coffeehouse Saturday nite was a great medicine of recovery. Chris and Jason did marvelously. And KUDOS to Kari who kept everything in order, with faithful help from Jackie. We raised $80.10 to support Philip Brewer and Leslie Rismiller, both in their mid-twenties, who are serving the Lord in Japan and Turkey respectively. We are looking forward to doing this again in the next couple months.
This morning I woke early and finally finished reading "Pilgrim at Tinkercreek" by Annie Dillard. I'm still digesting it...She's left me with quite a head-full of perspective on nature and beauty. Inspiring. On the car ride to VA I listen to two books on tape: "Sarah" by Marek Halter, a story that delves into a fictional, but seemingly realistic, perspective in a novel form, on the wife of Abraham. And the classic "Gilgamesh"- a very old tale of a powerful man and his great adventures with his best friend. An epic.
I'm not very good at book reports- I'd rather say, "You just have to read it." I think it would be good if i applied myself more to the art of describing what a book meant to me or taught me... Any advice?
Well, housework awaits. Then off to work I get paid for. Ana arrives this evening, will be staying a few days and then heading off to VA to stay with Shan for 6 weeks. Please be in prayer for them all.

shan before...

shan AFTER haircut

munchkins

coffee buzz? jackie, kari and heather
3 comments:
Wow - the leftmost "wild one" looks a lot like David!
I think you are either very brave or completely nuts. For what it's worth, children always seem to be much worse when they're A)in a different environment, B)more than one authority figure is present and C)they know you're tired and/or sick. They have a 6th sense for those things. Honestly, four additional children ages 5, 3, 2, and 1 spent the morning with us last Wednesday, and it wasn't a whole lot crazier around her than it normally is. Three is a tough number, especially if you and your house aren't accustomed to it.
Now, get some rest! :-)
i think you'll be a wonderful mom, lyndie! like you, i desperately need structure in my life, so my kids have to have it kind of as a by-product of living with me :) i would go completely and hopelessly nuts if i had to live with a lot of chaos.
Some rules do go by the wayside as more kids are added to the mix, but we've actually hung on to most of ours. The kids know they have to pick up after themselves, and they ask to be excused before getting down from the table. We also have pretty strict rules about TV-watching. I think children are capable of much more than we give them credit for, and I don't think your rules are unreasonable. You just kind of learn as you go which battles to choose and which hills to die on, with which children. I'd say bathing is definitely one of them!
Post a Comment