Hairy

PEEK-A-BOO!
Y playing in her new "house". Daddy brought it home after we discovered it when were visiting him @ work yesterday. Maybe we'll color on it this afternoon...

Today Yosi got her first haircut. It happened on a bit of a whim. I was headed to our church's Moms Group. I was late, as I'd spent the morning vacuuming and debating about whether or not to go d/t Y waking up with a dry cough, in addition to the perpetually runny nose. I checked her temp and, since she wasn't running a fever and acted okay, I resigned myself to going. I really enjoy this fellowship of women, but I really wasn't feeling up to it this morning. So, when I arrived at what I thought was the designated meeting place and found no one there, I considered it a fair excuse to just go back home. On the way home I drove by the salon that a friend had recommended. They do kid's cuts for $5. I have been on the fence about getting Y's hair cut for months. I love her hair: black, fine, and hanging in her eyes. And I vowed not to cut it until after she was 18mths old. I thought I'd get it cut then have her pics taken professionally. 18 month birthday arrived. I had the pics done, but I chickened out about the trim the day before. They turned out cute, naturally. Today, I realized, the opportunity was ripe. It's seems it's often like this with me and haircuts- I put it off with dread and then I'll last minute decide: it just HAS to be done. We walked in the shop, and at first it seemed like no one was there. I walked in further and I could hear voices coming from the back. I tentatively said "knock-knock" to announce my presence and walked further in, until a stylist looked up from behind a partition, soap suds on her hands and greeted me, surprised but welcoming. She was with a client, and the only stylist there, but encouraged me to wait until another stylist's arrival in about 15min. Y and I sat in the waiting area and ate granola bars and raisins. I changed a poopy diaper, and wondered if I shouldn't just chicken-out again. But, just as I finished changing Y's diaper, the new stylist showed up. The time had come. We proceeded to the chair, I confessing my apprehension and Yosi suddenly quiet but curious. Yosi sat on my lap and the stylists worked together, the older one distracting Y with toys and songs and pretzels, and the younger one deftly snipping away. In 10min it was done. And Yosi chirruped her lispy "tink yu". Plus, they gave me a coupon for 20% off my next visit, which they indicated should be me... Hmph! I just got my hair cut... 3 months ago? Hmph. It's gonna be a few months before I summon the motivation to go again. So, here she is:
BEFORE
(wearing my hat this time last week)
AFTER
(at home, a lil wore out from all the excitement)


I may not be to gung-ho about the cuts, but I do love to play with hair, even my own. Last night I washed it and didn't feel like blowdrying, but wanted to wake up and not have to iron it, SO... I went to bed like this (David had a good laugh at my expense- Happy Birthday!)...

...and woke up to get this! Free "perm". Fun, huh?

4 comments:

Charity said...

With one haircut Yosi went from baby to little girl! I understand your hesitation - I always drag my feet when it comes to the first haircut. Zeke looked like a girl for about 6 months before Danny finally took him to his barber.

We missed you this morning . . . sorry about the mix-up.

Regi said...

You're hilarious Lyn!

~~anna~~ said...

Your hair looks cute that way!
First haircut for Yosi...aawww. She's adorable with or without it in her eyes!

So, did you get to color her little cozy-spot? Some day she'll be big enough to have her own little cozy spot with a tent draped over the dining room table!

Jodi Bradshaw said...

I think her hair looks adorable!!!