Memorial Day weekend (being the most recent) is freshest in my memory. This was Yosi's second camping experience. Yosi and I camped 2 nights with a big group of family and friends at a state campground. It wasn't exactly primitive- we slept in my dad's pop-up camper- but it was outdoors. The campground was jam-packed and the first night Yosi stayed up WAY past bedtime because our neighbors' "music" was making the camper (and my head) throb. My dad finally got her to sleep around 11p. Of course, she didn't sleep in, but there was enough to keep her busy Saturday, that she hardly noticed the sleep deprivation.
Away goes May
May has been a full month, but I hardly remember what we've done, perhaps because it, like April, seemed to whiz by...

AuntKari and Uncle Derek rented a pontoon. I had told Yosi we were going to get on a boat- a first for her-but I don't think she really understood. What she did understand was that there was water and swimming involved. When we when down to the boat launch we had to wait 20min or so for them to bring the pontoon around. Yosi was beside herself with eagerness to get in the water. I thought I would wait to change her into her swim diaper and suit until we were on the boat, but instead I changed her on the bank, and we sat on the edge of the water and dangled our feet in. She really wanted me to just plunk her into the 4ft deep water, but I drew the line, not ready to get in myself, and she resigned.
On the boat Y enjoyed sitting behind the steering wheel for a few minutes, but once we picked up speed (as much as one can, in a pontoon) she stood soberly at the bow, wind blowing in her hair and one arm around Oscar, my sister's dog. She was enchanted. When we finally anchored, she nearly threw herself off the boat to get into the water. She loved it. I let her stay in as long as I thought reasonable, then we took a little break, to warm up and eat. At another anchoring spot Andrew, a friend of K&D's, was sitting beside her when he decided to throw himself over. She stood staring after him in astonishment, leaning over the edge as if considering following him. Heather (a cousin) and I each kept a hand on her for awhile, as she persisted in her curiosity. She was distracted finally by an invitation to float around with the "man overboard" in an innertube. She also enjoyed some PDA with Raven, the 7 month old son of Rob and Alicia. She certainly is fond of babies. On the ride back she fell asleep in my arms, wrapped up in a towel. This was my favorite part, as this scarcely ever happens anymore.
David came to stay Saturday nite, and got her to sleep around 9, in part due to no blaring music and part due to sheer exhaustion. David left early the next morning to get some bookstore work done @ home, while Y and I stuck around for breakfast and packing. Uncle Derek gave Yosi her first bicycle ride, on a bike with a childseat attached. She didn't make much expression @ the time, but I'm pretty sure she enjoyed it. This week whenever she's seen a bike she gets excited and points out the "cicle".
At home there has been much yard work- I've mowed the lawn twice in a week. David is working on a garden. He's hoping to grow pumkins, squash and sweet potatoes. Yosi has a love-hate relationship with the freshly plowed soil and the fresh cut grass. All those new textures on baby feet can get a little overwhelming, I guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh my the picture with Oscar is just precious!!
I agree! Very cute!
That pic with Oscar is the BEST!
Sounds like you all had fun and she definitely loves water!
She should have fun at Lake Superior later this Summer. There will be no LOUD music. Wilderness camping w/o electricity has its plusses!
Post a Comment